Summer Reading and Writing 2015!
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Below are summer reading and writing projects that students are encouraged, but not required, to do. Students are welcome to complete the Bingo cards by reading and writing in both English and Spanish! Bring the completed cards to school by Friday, September 11th for a small prize. Bingo Cards can be found on our Summer Reading Page.
- Students entering 1st grade can complete the reading and writing Bingo cards to the best of their ability. The writing Bingo calls for a paragraph per prompt, but students are welcome to write just a sentence or two.
- Students entering grades 2 – 5 can complete the reading and writing Bingo cards. They can do a simple Bingo, or try for a black out!
- Students entering middle school can choose to do the general reading Bingo, or try the Young Adult one. They can also choose to do the writing or journal Bingo.
Don’t forget to sign up with your local public library summer reading program too. Bookstores like Barnes and Noble also have summer reading programs that include a free book as a prize. Below are two websites/reading list that you might want to check out as well:
See our Summer Reading Page for other reading ideas, OBOB lists, bingo cards, and copies of the Jaguar’s Read Summer Reading Log!
Restaurant Night: Pietro’s Pizza
The last restaurant night of the 2014-2015 school year is here! Please come enjoy Pietro’s Pizza Thursday June 11th all day. Please use this flier (Pietro’s Flier). It will also be handed out after school next week. You need to have the flyer with you at the restaurant for Arco Iris to receive funds. (13281 SW Canyon Rd location)
Yearbook: Last Chance
Celebrate the 2014-2015 Arco Iris School year with your own yearbook! Yearbooks will be distributed in the class next week. The PTO ordered a few extra and will have those available for purchase in the school lobby next Thursday (6/11) afternoon and Friday morning (first come, first served). Each yearbook will be $15. If you have any questions, please email Sarah Coakley (email@example.com).
Buenos Tardes Reminder
The last day of school is fast approaching! Remember that June 12, 2015 is a HALF DAY with 11:30amdismissal. There will NOT be afternoon Buenas Tardes on that day. Please make sure to make pertinent child care arrangements for that day as we will not be accepting any children to stay past pick up on that day.The latest you can pick up your child is 12:00PM. If your student is not picked up by12:00pm, we will call emergency contacts to pick up your student.
SB819: Moving along…
Some charter schools paid a lobbyist to push the bill through. Its in Ways and Means committee right now.
These are the four legislators who determine and negotiate which bills move forward. We need folks to reach out to their friends/family to email these legislators only if they are in one of these districts.
- Speaker Tina Kotek – District 44/N-NE Portland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep Peter Buckley – District 5/Ashland, email@example.com
- President Peter Courtney – District 11/Salem, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sen Richard Devlin – District 19/Tualatin, email@example.com
Upcoming Dates (from Big Tent)
- June 5 PTO Officer’s Meeting (2:30 pm)
- June 10 Morning Meeting (8:40 am)
- June 11 Restaurant Night: Pietro’s Pizza (all day)
- June 11 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony (2:30 – 3:15)
- June 12 Spirit Wear Day
- June 12 Last Day of School
- June 12 PTO Meeting (8:30am)
- Jul 3 Community Event: Hillsboro Hops (7:05pm)
- Sept 26 Community Event: Mazamas Lodge trip