We are excited to announce that we will begin our Art Literacy program starting in January. We will be partnering with McKinley Elementary to bring artworks, history and hands-on art into classrooms. Lesson plans are designed to help meet the BSD Curriculum Agreements for the Visual Arts aligning with the Oregon State Visual Arts Standards. At the elementary level, the focus of the lessons are on the Elements of Art. For example, the students would learn about Rodin, Van Gogh or Picasso, while focusing on texture, shape and form.
The art literacy program in Beaverton School District is run by volunteers! Please talk to Stacy in the office if you are interested in doing this for your class or perhaps all 3 classes.
There is a small time commitment: training is 1 hour for each unit (only 5 in a year) and the time to deliver the unit to students is approximately 1 hour.
More on Art Literacy in BSD
- Art Literacy is a District wide program that introduces students to the works of five to six different artists throughout the school year.
- The Art Lit program is run entirely by volunteers.
- In the classroom, students get to work on a hands on project based on the work of the artist being presented.
- Volunteers are needed to help with the presentation of the artist and/or scheduled hands on project.
- Artistic knowledge or aptitude are not necessary.