Lap counts for a 2014 Jog-a-Thon runner
Our annual Jog-a-thon Fundraiser is scheduled for Friday, October 2nd, 2015. This fun event is a student favorite and an important fundraiser for Arco Iris School. Last year, Arco Iris students ran for a combined total of 508 miles (up from 382 miles in 2013), far enough to run nearly 2x around Puerto Rico – a phenomenal accomplishment in only 30 minutes of running.
The committee is looking for 2-3 more volunteers to help plan the event. (Requests for volunteers at the jog-a-thon will be coming next month!) Please email email@example.com if you are interested in joining this important committee.
We look forward to seeing you on September 3rd for our All-School Ice Cream Social / Supply Night! We’ll be here from 4:00 to 6:00pm. Meet our teachers, find your classrooms, learn about morning drop-off traffic patterns, drop off your school supplies, and more!
Some Important Reminders:
- The first day of school is September 8th. School begins promptly at 8:30am. Drop-off begins at 8:15 am. Please see our document Drop-Off Procedures for traffic details.
- If you need before and/or after school care, please see our Before/After School Program for details.
- Our school supply list is posted online HERE.
- We also ask that all our students follow a dress code: navy blue or khaki bottoms, red, navy or white tops (with collar). Please no denim or t-shirts. For more information, please see our Dress Code page.
If you have not done so already, please sign up for an email subscription to the school blog. This really is the best way to stay informed on what is happening at Arco Iris Spanish Immersion School!
Summer Play Dates!
Don’t miss our summer play dates! This information and more can also be found on our Arco Iris Spanish Immersion Charter School PTO Facebook page.
- 1st Grade Playdate: August 9th, 10am-noon – Channing Heights Mini Park
- All School Playdate: August 17th, 2:pm-4:pm – Magnolia Park
- 1st Grade Playdate: August 21st, 4:pm-6:pm – Channing Heights Mini Park
- All School Playdate: August 29th, 1:pm-3:pm – Beaverton City Fountain
Calling all Volunteers! On Wednesday August 12th, we will be holding a special PTO meeting to fill recently vacated PTO positions. We are currently in need of a President for the PTO, a Co-Fundraising VP, School Enrichment VP, Auction Chair/Co-chair, and other volunteer positions for the upcoming school year. If you are interested in filling one of these positions or finding out how you can help out please join us at noon in the outdoor Amphitheater at our school. Bring a lunch, let the kids play on the play structure (as long as it is not being worked on), and help us support our school. Agenda_PTO_mtg_8.12.15
PTO Committee Workgroup
At the June Board Meeting, the Board granted the PTO initial funds to begin the process of a 501(c)(3). The PTO Committee Workgroup is still in the process of discussing options under consideration with the intent to submit a finalized proposal at the next Board meeting. If you would like to participate in the discussion and provide input, come join the PTO Committee Workgroup at their meeting this Wednesday, July 8th, 2015 at 6:30pm at Arco Iris. Below are the agenda and a draft of various options to be discussed:
Interested in becoming more involved at Arco Iris? The Board of Directors is currently seeing parents to join the Nominating Committee and/or Charter Renewal Workgroup. The Board is also accepting applications for two members of the community to join the Board of Directors. Information below.
One to two parents of Arco Iris students needed to assist in the interview and selection process of applicants for Finance and Project Manager Board of Director openings. Time commitment of about 5 to 10 hours in late August.
If interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org by July 24th. Please include “Nominating Committee” in the subject line.
Charter Renewal Workgroup
One parent of an Arco Iris student needed to assist Board and School Administrator in Charter Renewal process. Duties to include, but not limited to attending Charter Renewal meetings, helping gather/review/proofread documents for Charter Renewal submission, and other duties as assigned. Time commitment of about 5 hours per month.
If interested, email email@example.com by July 24th. Please include “Charter Renewal Workgroup” in the subject line.
Board of Directors Openings
The Arco Iris School Board is actively recruiting members to join our ranks. Arco Iris is always looking for interested and dedicated parents, community members, and supporters who can find time to provide their service to the school.
Currently seeking interested candidates to fill the following two roles. Job descriptions for each are included:
- Project Manager – one position (Project Manager Job Description)
- Position will be assigned various tasks and duties associated with the fulfillment of the school’s mission. Task could include, but not be limited to, facilities management, special event planning, review and consideration of curriculum, and/or school ambassador.
- Experience with or willingness to learn, helpful, but not required:
- Negotiating lease amendments with the landlord
- Being the point-of-contact with the landlord
- Coordinating contacted services for repairs/maintenance
- Working on the Site Search Workgroup
- Acquiring land use permits
- Finance – Treasurer – one position (Finance Job Description)
- Work closely with the school’s bookkeeper as well as the school’s Certified Public Accountant to ensure the schools finances are aligned and in order. Duties include regular and frequent review of the schools bank account, reporting of the financial statements at the monthly board meeting, and coordinating the annual insurance policies.
How to apply: Individuals interested in applying for the above listed positions should submit their resume and cover letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm PST Friday, August 7th, 2015. Please include which position you would like to be considered for in the subject line. Previous applicants are encouraged to reapply. If you are interested in a role not posted or would like additional information, please email the email@example.com.
The Arco Iris Nominating Committee will interview prospective candidates and announce their selection at the September 2015 board meeting. The selected candidate will be sworn in date to be determined.
When Arco Iris was founded, a fundraising committee was created under the purview of the Board. As the school evolved, so did the committee and is now currently known as the PTO. At a recent Board meeting, the Arco Iris Governance Documents and By-Laws were updated. Upon review of these documents, it was determined that the PTO in its current form is not consistent with the Board’s policies regarding committees. The PTO and Board decided that this would be an excellent time to evaluate if it was a best practice for the PTO to remain a Board committee. The PTO Committee Workgroup was created, consisting of two parents, two Board members, and the principal, to evaluate the available options and make a recommendation to the Board.
On July 8th, 2015 at 6:30pm, the PTO Committee Workgroup will be meeting at Arco Iris to discuss the various options under consideration. This meeting will include a portion for community dialogue and we welcome parents, staff, and the community to come and provide input. Agenda to follow.
We will be working over the summer to update our blog with important info for the 2015/2016 school year. We have supply lists and lunch program info staged and ready to post. Stay tuned for updates. In the meantime, enjoy your summer break!
Don’t forget to join our Summer 2015 Jaguar’s Read Program! All the details are HERE.
Summer Play Dates 2015:
- July 31st – All School Play Date, 10a-12p at Fir grove Playground
- August 9th – 1st Grade Play date, 10a-12p at Channing Heights Mini-Park
- August 17th – All School Play Date, 2p-4p at Magnolia Park
- August 21st – 1st Grade Play Date, 4p-6p at Channing Heights Mini-Park
- August 29th – All School Play Date, 1p-3p at Beaverton City Park Fountain
Community Event – Save the date! Mark your calendars for September 26th and 27th at Mazama Lodge. We all had so much fun last year visiting in the lodge, and around the campfire while the kids played in the woods and the game room. It was a great opportunity to get to know each other better. Located just before the turnoff to timberline the setting is fabulous. Tickets will go on sale in the fall. (The cost per person is $30 which includes lodging for the night, dinner Saturday night, and breakfast and lunch on Sunday.)
Please be sure to log your volunteer hours for the year in parent booker and your corporate websites. Thanks for all your hard work! Log in HERE!
Upcoming Dates (from Big Tent)
- June 18 School Board Meeting (6pm)
- Jul 3 Community Event: Hillsboro Hops (7:05pm)
- July 31 Arco Iris All School Play Date (10am)
- Aug 9 Arco Iris 1st Grade Play Date (10am)
- Aug 17 Arco Iris All School Play Date (2pm)
- Aug 21 Arco Iris 1st Grade Play Date (4pm)
- Aug 25 New Parent Orientation (6pm)
- Aug 29 Arco Iris All School Play Date (1pm)
- Sept 3 Arco Iris Ice Cream Social (4pm)
- Sept 26 Community Event: Mazamas Lodge trip
Dear Parents and Guardians;
As our children count down to the last day of school, it’s hard to believe it truly is almost over. Before we all head out the door to our summer vacations the PTO wanted to take a moment to reflect, look forward, and most importantly THANK YOU.
This year we accomplished a lot together. We maintained and expanded some school favorites:
- Ice cream social
- Mazama Lodge weekend
- Community Picnic
- Expressed gratitude to our teacher and staff (break room, school sweatshirts, holiday giving, lunch from Elephants, pedicures, and dinner boxes just to name a few.)
- Held a successful Jog A Thon and our annual Fiesta Night and Auction
Some of the most notable new projects:
- Held our first New Parent Orientation night
- Expressed our voices on the Middle School Committee
- Recorded our Winter Program performance
- Created our first yearbook
- Added air conditioners for the school office and some classrooms
These are just a few of the ways parents served their amazing 3,000 parent volunteer hours and we raised over $ 90,000.
What we hope to accomplish in the 2015-2016 school year:
- Clarify and simplify the way the PTO communicates with you
- Officially deploy BigTent
- Redefine the roles and responsibilities of the PTO
- Represent Arco Iris in the Beaverton Parade (a favorite)
- Participate in more community events
None of this is possible without you! We are grateful and proud of our wonderful parents and strong community. Thank you for being a part of Arco Iris. Enjoy your summer, we hope to see you at a summer play date and in the fall.
We look forward to serving with you next year. With appreciation and gratitude,
Your 2014-2015 PTO Officers
Kim Perreira, Michelle Black, Aisha Bowen, Sabrina Pinkerton, Jen Osawa, Carrie Kirsch, Christa Billings, Erlim Cruz